Thursday, September 30, 2010

there are things and there are chickens...

There are many things I will soon be parting with...hot rollers...when have I EVER used those (i mean when since 1982)...and books (which is hard but I love my kindle). and clothes that I will never fit in again. and at least two of the mini food processors that I never touch. and most likely my kitchenaid mixer (that will make me cry). but these things, while hard to part with , are just things. I will get over them and, when I hand them off to their new owner, they will not cock their heads to the side and "cuck caw?" in a confused sounding plea for explanation...

...we have four chickens--PET chickens--we love them. Three are buff orpingtons (chicky, chicky, and chicky) and the other is the black australorp named Pip. They give us eggs and we give them all kinds of juicer pulp treats and let them run free in our yard and sometimes carry them around and scratch them right between their shoulder blades (wing blades?). We even let them come in and say hello when the weather is too nice to keep the door shut. We aren't going to eat them...not even going to just freeze them so we can always have them near...nope. We are going to find them a new home. I worry though that no home will love them like we do (I also worry that times are tough and someone may get desperate for some cheap protein).  Until then, we are going to spoil them rotten and take lots of pictures and start interviewing for potential adoptive families...
want some chickens?

7 comments:

  1. When we moved, parting with my dear chickens was one of the hardest parts too. Some people didn't get it but obviously you do. I hugged and kissed my sweet rooster "Handsome" when I finally handed him off to his new owners. As long as you find good homes for them, your thoughts will be full of happiness when you think of your chickens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! They are so adorable! You will find a good home for them. How could someone resist? If I didn't live on the road I would scoop them up in a heart beat! In the meantime enjoy the time you have with them and continue to spoil them rotten!! =0)

    Thanks for sharing those sweet pictures of your feathery friends with us!

    {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have an email address I could contact you at? I couldn't seem to find one on your blog.

    Thanks!!

    {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes!! it is eileencigala@live.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grandma would take them but she is about to move into the city!! They are the prettiest hens ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We want them! MEMEME U know their godmother!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you really?!! I never even thought to ask...not sure why not...they are yours sis! You have to eat a lot of eggs...they each give about an egg a day!! You can always give some away...who doesn't love FRESH eggs!!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for taking the time to comment!!

momAgenda - get organized with style
Brighter Planet's 350 Challenge

Families on the Road